Tuesday, February 18, 2014

And now back to our regular schedule

After taking a hiatus from crafting and quilting in 2013 the quilty mojo is back. I purchased Edyta Sitars book "Scrappy Firework Quilts" and loved the Candy Necklace Quilt. (I just could not get the pic to flip the right way!)


Then I recieved my copy of American Patchwork and Quilting February 2014 and the quilt is in there too! AP&Q is offering it as a quilt along. Their version, called Tone It Down (page 55), is equally beautiful and I am now off and running on my own version: here is a completed block
and here is another on the design wall
so far I have 8 done and 4 in progress.

On the knitting front I completed by sockhead hat (pattern by Boho knits) in Manos De Uraguay sock.  My goal in knitting this year is to complete one small project a month. This hat is January and February is a pair of super simple slippers in chunky yarn. March I need to complete the socks which are currently on the needles.  So on track for now.
On acquisitions my big deal was an Accuquilt Go Baby! a very big surprise gift from my spouse.  I purchased the die that cuts 1 inch, 1.5 inch and 2 inch strips, all at once.  I then cut strips from nearly my complete collection of batiks.  I cut 250 fabrics giving me a total of 750 strips ( I didn't know I had collected that many batiks) in about 5 hours! AMAZING! And each one is so precise. No misreading the measurements and cutting the wrong size strip here!  I then dumped them all into 3 gallon size bags and I just pull out the strip sizes I need for this quilt.  Easy Peasy!  I did have to make some adjustments because I wanted to use the strips I cut with the cutter.  The AP&Q quilt blocks are 15 and the Sitar quilt blocks are 14 1/4.  Mine are 17.  The adjustments were easy, I just used my precut 1.5 inch strips, made a nine patch and then based everything off this 3.5 inch block.  No problem.  Although each block has 120 pieces it is going together really quickly with all my precut strips.






No comments:

Post a Comment