Tuesday, February 18, 2014

And now back to our regular schedule

After taking a hiatus from crafting and quilting in 2013 the quilty mojo is back. I purchased Edyta Sitars book "Scrappy Firework Quilts" and loved the Candy Necklace Quilt. (I just could not get the pic to flip the right way!)

Then I recieved my copy of American Patchwork and Quilting February 2014 and the quilt is in there too! AP&Q is offering it as a quilt along. Their version, called Tone It Down (page 55), is equally beautiful and I am now off and running on my own version: here is a completed block
and here is another on the design wall
so far I have 8 done and 4 in progress.

On the knitting front I completed by sockhead hat (pattern by Boho knits) in Manos De Uraguay sock.  My goal in knitting this year is to complete one small project a month. This hat is January and February is a pair of super simple slippers in chunky yarn. March I need to complete the socks which are currently on the needles.  So on track for now.
On acquisitions my big deal was an Accuquilt Go Baby! a very big surprise gift from my spouse.  I purchased the die that cuts 1 inch, 1.5 inch and 2 inch strips, all at once.  I then cut strips from nearly my complete collection of batiks.  I cut 250 fabrics giving me a total of 750 strips ( I didn't know I had collected that many batiks) in about 5 hours! AMAZING! And each one is so precise. No misreading the measurements and cutting the wrong size strip here!  I then dumped them all into 3 gallon size bags and I just pull out the strip sizes I need for this quilt.  Easy Peasy!  I did have to make some adjustments because I wanted to use the strips I cut with the cutter.  The AP&Q quilt blocks are 15 and the Sitar quilt blocks are 14 1/4.  Mine are 17.  The adjustments were easy, I just used my precut 1.5 inch strips, made a nine patch and then based everything off this 3.5 inch block.  No problem.  Although each block has 120 pieces it is going together really quickly with all my precut strips.